The Master, HRH The Earl of Wessex Unveils the Coal Exchange Plaque 6th July 2020
Coal Exchange Plaque – 6th July 2020
On Monday 6th July a small, but nonetheless enthusiastic and freshly out of lockdown, group met at 100 Lower Thames Street opposite the old Billingsgate Fish Market to witness our Master HRH The Earl of Wessex KG GCVO unveil a plaque to mark the site of the Coal Exchange.
The building itself hides the best preserved Roman Baths in Londinium in its basement that were discovered when the Coal Exchange was built in 1848.
HRH The Earl of Wessex was greeted by IPM Shravan Joshi who had been the driving force in getting this plaque and the day arranged. The immediate past master introduced him, at a safe social distance, to Sheriff Chris Hayward, Deputy of Billingsgate Ward Jamie Ingham-Clark, Honorary Chaplain The Reverend Nick Mottershead FCA, Court assistant and photographers assistant for the day Louise Thompson, photographer for the day Mira Joshi and of course our Gallant Clerk Bill Walworth.
The Rev. Nick Mottershead began by dedicating the plaque remembering those throughout history whose commitment and creativity contributed to the industrial progress that we have made and reminded us that as we now look to the future we mustn’t forget how we got there.
The Master then officially unveiled the plaque and spoke about the changes and developments in the energy sector and how enormously grateful the Fuellers are to the coal meters for their support over the years.
The plaque not only marks the site where the coal exchange stood from 1848 to 1963 but it represents an important element of UK industrial and economic history whilst acknowledging the work of the Coal Meters committee. It was, after all, members of the coal industry who started the Fuellers in the early 1980’s. Since the 80’s the energy market has evolved with the goal of achieving net carbon zero on the horizon and Fuellers members now representing every sector of the market from coal, oil, gas and electricity to nuclear, hydro, solar and wind.
The coal meters committee, with declining members, took the decision to close in June 2020. Their support of the Fuellers and their contributions to the Charitable Trust Fund over the years has been invaluable and the company wanted to mark the occasion with a lasting memorial. Their generous donation to fund the plaque will ensure that the Coal Meters Committee is suitably recognized for its role in energy history. We hope that you take the opportunity to visit the plaque when you are next in the City.
By Court Assistant Louise Thompson
Please take the time to view the address given by HRH The Earl of Wessex and the Hon Chaplin’s blessing